Wiring

To: "'MG submission'" <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Wiring
From: "Cordell, Ralph PhD" <rzc4@cdc.gov>
Date: Tue, 27 Jan 1998 10:57:32 -0500
At the suggestion of a mechanic/hot rod friend, I'm replacing the wiring
on my '59 MGA.  Rather than buy a wiring harness (at his suggestion) I'm
wiring it myself following the diagram in the shop manual.  I've used 14
gauge stranded auto wire. Though I could only get solid colors I've used
little number tags on both ends and have double/triple checked every so
far.  I am about done and ready to "test" it.  While it may be a bit
late to be asking questions, I'd rather do it now than after I burn up
my pride & joy.

1.  Is 14 gauge wire adequate for all connections or are there some
where a heavier wire is needed? (I know about battery leads and cable
from starter switch to starter - are there other less obvious leads?)

2.  Are there any "booby traps" in the shop manual wiring diagram for
1500 MGAs?  By that I mean printing errors or other glitches that are
detectable only by experience or superior skill.

I've been really careful and will check it all again (and again and
again).  I will test the lights/horn etc without the fuel tank installed
and have an extinguisher on hand at all times. I would have asked the
group first but just found out y'all were here.  Thanks for the help.

ralph cordell
'59 MGA
'84 Turbo Regal
'87 Grand National