Re: Smoke gets in my eyes

To: mgpilot2@earthlink.net, mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Smoke gets in my eyes
From: Teacher122 <Teacher122@aol.com>
Date: Tue, 27 Jan 1998 20:45:20 EST
In a message dated 98-01-27 18:05:12 EST, mgpilot2@earthlink.net writes:

<< Have a question for all you wonderful MG gurus, probably an easy one for
 y'all.  Awhile back I started my 70B, went a little ways and smoke (or
 something like it) was coming out of my defroster vents...Stopped and
 popped the bonnet thinking something was on fire but there was none. The
 "vapor" quit but then came back again...popped the hood again, nothing,
 it quit again.  Last night it happened again, "vapor" coming out of my
 defroster vents, mostly on the passenger side.  It quit after just a
 little bit.  I'm kind of assuming that I have a leak in my heater, am I
 way off base here or headed in the right direction?  Do I need to take
 the heater apart and see what's in there or what?  Would appreciate any
 help I can get!!

Kat,

     Mine did the same thing!  The smoke was coming out of the valve cover oil
filler cap!  I had one broken ring, three cracks in the head, and was
basically running on two cylinders!  Apparently, the smoke was blowby that the
pcv system was unable to handle, so it just came out of the oil filler cap.
     Pop the hood with the engine running, and then have someone rev the
engine.
You should be able to see where the smoke is coming from.

Tom Green