Re: Driveshafts & Speedos

To: mgguyc100@newedge.net
Subject: Re: Driveshafts & Speedos
From: mgb.roadster@juno.com (Larry A Hoy)
Date: Tue, 27 Jan 1998 22:24:04 -0700
On Tue, 27 Jan 1998 18:35:04 -0700 (MST) Williams/MG Guy
<mgguyc100@newedge.net> writes:
Big Snip

>Speedos: instruments, not the bathing suit...I've picked up wisdom from
the
>list that a specifically designated OD speedo may not be neccessary. An
OD
>speedo cable apparently is,...........

I don't think you need a special cable.  It does need to be the correct
length but I believe all the cables have the same ends, only the length
varies.

> however, there's been chat about calibration,
>and designation on the face of the instrument. Mine carries a '1280' in
fine
>print at about 5 o'clock on the lower edge. Is this the clue I'm looking
>for? If so, what does it mean?

I don't think a 1280 speedo works with any OD transmission (properly).  A
1280 is the standard pre 1976B speedo for a non OD transmission.  This
means you will have to; 1)  re-calibrate the speedo, 2) use the speedo
that came out of the OD donor car.

Larry Hoy (MGB.Roadster@juno.com)
Denver, CO USA
1969 MGB Roadster
1987 Jaguar XJ6 Vanden Plas

Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]