Re: Repair manuals

To: Nory <Nory@webtv.net>
Subject: Re: Repair manuals
From: "John J. Peloquin" <peloquin@mamba.bio.uci.edu>
Date: Wed, 28 Jan 1998 08:16:08 -0800 (PST)
My Two Cents on Chilton's manuals:

They are worse than useless and a waste of money. They are full of
"helpful" advice like "Remove Engine", "Repair engine", "Replace engine".
Buy Haynes and the Bentley manual. I have two copies of the Haynes (one
ratty one with a duct tape binding and greasy fingerprints in the
garage and a nice on in the house) and the Bentley manual.

I've also found it very helpful to get an enlarged copy of the wiring diagram
for your car from the Bentley manual and laminate it in plastic so you can
have it right there while you work without destroying it with one's dirty
paws.

 On Wed, 28 Jan
1998, Nory wrote:

=%OI have the Haynes and the Bentley manuals.  They're both great, but I
=%Omust admit that the Haynes is the one with all the greasy finger prints
=%Oon it (most used).  Get them both if you can.  Avoid the Chilton's
=%O(which I also have).  It has many errors, so anything I see there
=%Ousually has to be double checked with another source.
=%O
=%O-NORY
=%ODon't assume that because you have found one problem, you have found the
=%OONLY problem.
=%O
=%O '74 Midget & '71 parts car
=%O '94 Ford Ranger
=%O '86 Ford Escort
=%O '89 Ford Probe
=%O '96 North American Shepherd
=%O Only 1 cat now (don't ask)
=%Ohttp://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Way/9101
=%O
=%ONEW Home Improvement Homepage:  http://www.angelfire.com/ny/nory
=%O

"Never ascribe to Malice that which can be explained by Ignorance"

John J. Peloquin
Molecular Biology &
  Biochemistry
3205 BioSciences II