Re: FCC and Internet Access (OFF TOPIC!)

To: "Benjamin Ruset" <bruset@monmouth.com>,
Subject: Re: FCC and Internet Access (OFF TOPIC!)
From: "Kai Radicke" <mowogmg@pil.net>
Date: Thu, 29 Jan 1998 17:48:16 -0500
(technically worded email, delete now if you don't want to read it)

>>In regards to our recent discussions of the FCC and Internet access, an
>>article appeared in NewsWeek last week. As it contained information that
>>appeared contrary to what was decided by the FCC in a prior question, I
>>e-mailed NewsWeek to determine the sources in the article, and received
>>the following response.

No not contrary to the last FCC decision...but a new desicion that would
classify ISPs as telecommunications companies (more specifically the would
like ISPs classified as long distance telecommunications companies)

>I just stared my new job last week -- installing *cable modems*.
>
>Let me tell you -- you have not seen fast until you see this. I downloaded
>a 20 meg file in under one minute. And it has nothing to do with the phone
company!
>=)

Hmm, Cable Modems are a nice idea...but when they catch on they will suck
big time.  xDSL (ie. ADSL) will come out right about the time that people
realize that cable modems are junk.  Reasons for this:

1.    With a cable modem you share your bandwidth with your nieghbor...so
when you next door nieghbor is downloading a 50MB video clip your
performance will suffer.
2.    Most cable systems in the US are still pretty much monodirectional,
meaning you can only send data or recieve data one way (usually recieve).
So many Cable Modem users may also find them selves using thier phone line
to send data.
3.     They have poor security, little Johnny down the street can get his
Packet Sniffer to  hijack your information more easily and faster.
4.    Cable Companies oversell thier bandwidth.  They provide you with a 5MB
modem, but they have a $80,000/month T3 (45MB) bill to pay (including local
loop).  So in order to make money on that they will really oversell that
line, again your performance suffers.
5.    Oh and of course you Cable Company provides the techincal
support...yeah I might want them telling me how to fix my problems...for
those of you that have had problems with your CableCO, you know what I mean.
6.    Cable companies will start 'limiting' your speeds...but they will
provide burst speeds at offday times (1AM-3AM).  This is how they get around
4, but you still end up with a different result.

So why is xDSL better?  because it isn't subject to 1,2,3 or 5.  And
depending on how responsible your ISP is when xDSL comes out, he won't
oversell his  bandwidth either.  Reasons against xDSL:

1.    Distance limit.  Most xDSL modems must be 18,000ft or closer to the
telephone switch in order to get decent speed.  This isn't really a problem
except for the 45% of US residents and don't live in cities or the suburbs.
The other 65% of US residents will have no trouble with xDSL.
2.    Finding an ISP to support it.  This will be tough at this time, but by
the time xDSL comes out I don't think it will be a problem.  Cable Modem
equipment is more expensive and less upgradable than xDSL
equipment...another plus for xDSL.  So don't expect your little ISP to do
xDSL right from the getgo...he'd go bankrupt.

IMHO, niether 1 nor 2 is as drastic as 1 thru 5 reasons against using a
Cable Modem.  #1 and #2 will eventually be nullified once xDSL is popular
enough and the telephone companies ad new switches.

>By me, they charge $40 a month - including the lease on the modem itself.
It
>may be higher or lower depending on where you live, but -- I would start
>bugging your local cable company to get this system! It's *fantastic!*

At $40 a month you would need 4000 people to use it just for the cable
company to pay its T3 bill each month.  Lets say that they do get 4000
people, thats 20000MB of data that they would possibly have to handle, and a
T3 only handles 45MB.  So now you see will see speeds even lower than your
current modem.  Of course inorder for them to make a profit and buy new
equipment they will need more than 4000 customers.

Ben its nice while it lasts...but unfortunatly many people will buy into the
Cable Modem idea and get very angry that it sucks.  In my area Lower Bucks
Cablevision has no plans for Cable Modem Internet Access at all.  I don't
blame them...

Wait for xDSL!  Or some new technology! ;-)

Cheers,

Kai Radicke -- kmr@pil.net -- 1966 MGB @ http://www.pil.net/~mowogmg
Sonix.Networks -- "Building the Internet, byte by byte..."

IRC: irc.mcs.net, #inet-access (my nick: ActiveX or KMR)