TD transmission ? from a volvo list!

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: TD transmission ? from a volvo list!
From: ric_bergstrom@juno.com (Richard L. Bergstrom)
Date: Fri, 30 Jan 1998 19:48:54 -0500
A fellow Volvo/MG enthusiast asked me the following question I couldn't
answer.

Please respond to Thom directly.
>My
>dad has a 1953 MG TD. The transmission is shot, we tried to rebuild it
>several times. At first it was first gear/ reverse. Pulled the box
>swapped
>the gears put the box back in. Worked great for a few weeks and then
>noise.
>Pulled the box again, main bearing went, replaced it put box back
>in... and
>so on. In retrospect we should have changed all the bearings at once.
>Too
>late now!  So my question for you is about gearboxes. Do the later
>year
>boxes fit in the early cars? or are there gearboxes available? Car has
>been
>sitting since I left for college in 1990.  No one else had the
>patience to
>work on it. Family lives in Roanoke, VA. I live in Woods Hole, MA.
>Any mailing list info, parts sources etc. would be appreciated.
>later
>thom

>Thomas Geer
>Marine Biological Laboratory
>Woods Hole,  MA 02543
>Tel:508-289-7629
>fax:508-540-6902
>E-mail:tgeer@mbl.edu
>web http://www.mbl.edu/oldenbourg

Ric Bergstrom
Richmond, VA
1973 Midget  1275                   '88 240 Volvo            '92 F150
1974 Midget  1275  (currently in many little boxes)
Central Virginia MG Classics

Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]