Re: V8 Conversion Update

To: 102221.1716@compuserve.com
Subject: Re: V8 Conversion Update
From: miker15@juno.com (michael j robson)
Date: Sat, 31 Jan 1998 09:54:31 EST
On Sat, 31 Jan 1998 09:15:33 -0500 Rick Huber
<102221.1716@compuserve.com> writes:
>Hello listers,
>
>A brief update on the progress of my 75 B V8 conversion.  Andrew (16
>year
>old son) and I finished dismantling the car and the body / paint shop
>man
>picked up the rolling body yesterday.  I've joined the V8 newsletter
>through Kurt Schley and talked to a whole host of people.  I visited
>Glen
>Towery and Ian Pender in December to talk and get ideas and make
>plans.
>I've spent a plenty of money accumulating parts - minilite wheels,
>deluxe
>interior kit, new bonnet, hundreds of miscellaneous parts. I bought a
>TR8
>engine and transmission from a local guy who used to race TR8's and
>had the
>eng/trans as a spare for his race car. I bought an intake manifold,
>carburetor, and starter from a guy up in Massachusetts that the TR8
>racer
>recommended.  I decided to go the "full monty" and strip out the
>engine
>compartment to get it painted with the outside of the car.  The body
>work /
>paint is being done by a local shop that was recommended by a guy here
>in
>town that restores Rolls Royces and MG's so I'm thinking I'll get a
>good
>job.  It'll be black urethane with a clear coat on top. After much
>consternation, I've finally decided to lower the car but leave the
>black
>bumpers on it.  Too much extra work / expense to put on the chrome
>bumpers.
>

>While the car is in the paint shop, Andrew and I will refurbish parts
>that
>we've taken off the car, and also work with the shop to fit the engine
>and
>make the engine compartment the right size and shape before it's
>painted.
>Still lots of work left to do and many things to sort out, but we're
>still
>thinking we'll have it driving this summer.
>
>I'm just having more fun than I ever could have imagined.
>
>Safety Faster,
>
>Rick Huber
>'68 B daily driver
>'75 B slowly becoming a V8

Rick - what an inspirational post!!
Youre enthusiasm speaks volumes - Heck IM having fun with it and i havnt
even seen it!!!!!
I'll look forward to hearing how the paint turns out, I'm going with
black on the 69 and
frankly im a little nervous, - it isnt an easy colour
You seem a little uncertain about the bumpers, naturally, you should go
with whatever  is pleasing to you, but (having made similar
mistakes.......) If you REALLY deep down want chrome, go for it, youre
obviously putting a lot of money into this and when its finished dont be
in a position of saying  "y'know i really should have......."
Look forward to the next chapter!

Now im off to DO something - got me all fired up!!

mike robson
69 roadster
70 BGT
72 roadster

Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]