Challenge (Starting handles)

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Challenge (Starting handles)
From: AKBLACKLEY@aol.com
Date: Tue, 3 Feb 1998 14:38:29 EST
Greetings to the List. I am a recent crossover from the Land Rover list,
having recently purchased a 69 MGB rdstr, after a long hiatus from octagonal
products in favor of the green oval.
Anyway, my '83 Range Rover (3.5L carb, grey market import) has a starting
handle and fits through a suitable hole in the front bumper in true Land Rover
fashion. So. I'd say that in Europe the Range Rover had this "feature" until
the update  of the Range Rover just prior to their re-entry into the US
market, about 1986/87. There are probalbly other vehicles (like the Russin GAZ
jeeps) that had starting handles or still do, in current production. These are
not really passenger cars however, and I usually refer to my Rangie as a truck
too.
Even though I have the handle I cant turn the V8 engine over fast enough with
power steering and AC belts attached to start it. My previous LR, a 1971 SIIA,
also had a handle and started easily on about half a good twist, even in below
freezing weather. If I had an MGA I think I'd use the handle in public just to
amuse and confuse! Cheers. Andy Blackley