Re: Gapless in Minneapolis

To: Simon Bosworth <simon@hpi50.dsddhc.com>
Subject: Re: Gapless in Minneapolis
From: Paul Hunt <paul.hunt1@virgin.net>
Date: Thu, 05 Feb 1998 19:57:15 +0000
Simon Bosworth wrote:

> Hello all,
> well I finally worked out why my BGT was running poorly/not at all.  No
> gap in the points worth speaking of.

Ditto with my V8.  I discovered the centrifugal advance was siezed and the
vacuum advance was punctured a while ago, evn though the car had been running
fine.  Fixed them both, reset the points and it ran terribly.  Backfiring under
hard acceleration (is backfiring 'firing out the back' i.e. exhaust or 'firing
backwards through the engine' i.e. out the carbs?  Mine was the former) or
medium acceleration at higher revs and symptoms of weak mixture under gentle
acceleration.  Richening the mixture helped but hit the fuel consumption.

I regapped the points, ran the engine, re-checked the gap, OK.  Ran it for
while longer, no better.  Rechecked the gap, still OK.  I then bought a
multi-meter with dwell and discovered that instead of a dwell angle of 27 it
was only 17.  The V8 has a wonderful device on the outside of the distributor
for setting the points gap while the engine is running (ironic, really, since
it must be one of the easiest to get to unlike the 1800).  Reset the timing,
and the difference was amazing.  All the problems disappeared and it ran
noticeably smoother when cruising.  I have also been able to weaken the mixture
by two flats.

I haven't checked the gap with a feeler gauge yet, I will do so out of
interest, but I am definitely a dwell-man from now on.

PaulH.