Brake Related Questions

To: <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Brake Related Questions
From: "Dan Ray" <danray@bluegrass.net>
Date: Fri, 6 Feb 1998 18:37:03 -0600
Listers:
Well, the weekend is nigh, and my brake parts are patiently waiting to be
installed.
The general consensus from all seems to be to put silicon fluid in the
system while I'm at it. So....
    - I know not to mix fluids, are there steps to take, other than draining
the system as much as possible? Any strong opinions for NOT going to silicon
during a brake system rebuild? I'm putting in new wheel cylinders, but not
planning on a new M/C, for now, that is. Is this a mistake? Will I kill the
M/C by doing this?
    - Silicon fluid doesn't seem very commonplace, what should I look for as
far as brands/labels? Will it be terrible if I can't find any around here
and have to stick to regular? (I'm in the boondocks)

Also, what are the opinions out there on a good grease that I can buy that
will work for most applications? I think Skip Kelsey recommended something,
but I can't remember what it was. I only want a tube of it, not the typical
cardboard tub that invariably gets squashed eventually and makes a mess.
Maybe I should spring for a cheapo grease gun, I know....:)

Any other comments on materials for this brake job, in case I'm forgetting
something? Its a simple job (the rotor replacement is scheduled for next
weekend), I know, but I want to have everything in place when I get it into
the bay at the Post Craft Shop, and not have to run to the store with the
meter ticking.

TIA
Dan
'73 B