Re: status (please read and give me your opinion)

To: Jellyby@aol.com
Subject: Re: status (please read and give me your opinion)
From: Larry Dickstein <bugide@tfs.net>
Date: Sat, 07 Feb 1998 21:22:17 -0800
Jellyby@aol.com wrote:
> > Body:  A few scratches and dings, but nothing major there.  One area about
>the size of a quarter in front of the driver's side door appears to have been
>filled or patched badly, then painted over.  Two places the metal has bubbled,
> one above the left rear wheel well, and the second right side just ahead of
>the wheel well, where the sills end.  The first is about the size of a
>quarter, the second the size of a half dollar.  Passenger's side door has
>split just below the rear view mirror, for
> about one inch.  Lastly, someone tried to close the trunk without relasing
>the  catch and split the frame to which the support arm is attached; this
>split has  rusted and caused a bulged in the trunk door, about the size of a
>half dollar.
 -

        The spots you mentioned as having small rust spots are all problems,
especially the rocker area in front of the rear wheels.  Traditionally,
by the time rust appears here, the inner and outer rockers have long
been rusted through.  The wheel wells can be fixed as well but these are
not easy.  If you are a half good welder, then these can be fixed but it
is not as easy as a floor.  If you have to pay for this stuff, then you
are looking at $1,200-1,500, or more, depending on the shop.
        The best solution  is to buy the best car you can afford.  If you
cannot afford just what you want, then keep in mind that body work is
the most expensive!  Interiors and engines are not necessarily cheap but
they are far cheaper than body work.  Remember,too, that all of this
repair needs to be worked and painted.  I'm not trying to talk you out
of any particular car but to remind you to be honest w/ yourself and
your checkbook.  Happy Hunting!!!

Larry Dickstein     Kansas City, MO
'58 Bugeye, '67 BJ 8, '67 MGB V8