Re: Weak Spark/No start

To: Chris Delling <saschris@flash.net>, mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Weak Spark/No start
From: Jurgen Hartwig <gt0003a@prism.gatech.edu>
Date: Sun, 08 Feb 1998 19:10:54 -0500
At 06:19 PM 2/8/98 -0500, Chris Delling wrote:

>I was always under the impression that any spark was enough to fire a motor

>on starting fluid.  Am I wrong here?  Obviously I want to solve the

>problem, and get the sucker running with minimal use of the starter, as the

>cam hasn't been bedded in yet.

If you used some cam lube, I would be concerned with getting oil pressure up.

Then go after your starting problem or do it simultaneously.  Check to see

how much spark you have from your plug wires.  Correct if I'm wrong, but

I think you should be able to get a 1/2" spark from lead to your block.

If you want to start the car, I would make sure you have good, strong spark

and proper fuel delivery.  Otherwise, trying to start it is feeble.

>I believe that my timing is pretty close - with electronic ignition I can't

>statically check the timing, so I need to do it dynamically.  It tried to

>fire a couple of times early on, so I believe that the spark is getting

>weak as the battery went flat.

Yeah, if you can get the timing reasonably close, then it should at least

sputter. Make sure the wires are on in the proper order.

Also, why don't you just go ahead and buy a new battery.  You'll need one

eventually, so why not purchase it now and at least have a starter turning

the proper RPMs.

If your carbs haven't been touched, then I'd be more inclined to guess you

have problems with your ignition.  Fix that.

Jay

Jurgen Hartwig, Civil Engineering, Georgia Tech

and the world rejoiced

Try to live your life so that

when you die you will rejoice

and the world will cry.