MGB mods

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: MGB mods
From: WSpohn4@aol.com
Date: Mon, 9 Feb 1998 12:19:10 EST
<<I'm considering a suspension rebuild on my 77B as soon as S. Florida MG
season
is over(June, when it gets too hot. Feb. is the perfect weather!. Perhaps
someone in the know can answer some questions before I start.

1.  Should I "lower" the suspension for handling purposes? (note-I have shock
conversions in the front and rear, and have 185-14 tires. Would there be a
clearance problem if I lowered the suspension?)

**** You can fit the early front cross member, but lowering the original will
throw the suspension settings out and cause more problems than you would want.

2.  Are the "V8" bushings better?

***** Yes, in the sense that they they are less compliant (more accurate
suspension movement) andd that they last better than the originals.

3. The spring replacement is pretty straightforward, but I've yet to
understand the kingpin situation. How does one tell if they're bad, and what
exactly is "reaming" the kingpin?

****The suspension swivel is bushed and the bushes and the pin they ride on
both wear. In most cases the swivel can be rebushed and both upper and lower
bushes should be reamed to size with a special reamer that does both bushes at
the same time, ensuring that they are in line. No one has this reamer, and a
decent semblance can be acomplished with a wrist pin hone, for instance.
Jack your front end under the spring pan and grab the wheel at top and bottom
and wiggle it - too much play is usually these bushes, but some is just the
wheel bearings - better yet have someone with experience do it for you.

Bill S.