Mystery Engine, Gearbox and Speedo

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Mystery Engine, Gearbox and Speedo
From: Greg MAHNEY <mahney@central.murdoch.edu.au>
Date: Wed, 11 Feb 1998 10:53:32 +0800
I'm trying to get an accurate idea of the origin of the Engine, Gearbox and
Speedo in my Austin Healey Sprite Mk2 (none of which are the original
item).  It is an Australian car.  I've tried the Spridgets list on the
engine, and made some progress but still don't have a definative answer.
On the British-Cars List someone suggested the gearbox might be from an MG
TD or TF and that the Speedo could be from an MGA.  I'd appreciate any help
you can give me.

This is what I've got

Engine:  "A" Series.  948 cc (it's got 950 cast on the side) Engine No is:
9D-U-L 105756

Gearbox:  Has a "smooth" (not rib cage) case.  On the right hand side,
quite low  is the number  AB15699  (it is a MOWOG)

Speedo:  Is a Jaeger brand,  it has on it :   SN 3391/03  1408  It has a
Trip Meter and Oddometer and is marked in MPH up to 70MPH

I would really appreciate any assistance in identifying what sort of car
any of these parts came from.

Many thanks

Greg