Waxoyl vs. otherstuff

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Waxoyl vs. otherstuff
From: AKBLACKLEY@aol.com
Date: Wed, 11 Feb 1998 08:49:35 EST
Re: Rubberized undercoat. If possible I would avoid this stuff, as it works ok
in the beginning, but over time has been known to promote rust. The stuff will
crack in places, allow water in and between the sealer and the metal with
predictable results. IMHO the best method of treating the underside of a
restored car is to take it to clean metal, prime with zinc rich primer, apply
the "schutz" rock chip resistent paint, then paint in the upper body color.
Any deterioration of this tratment will be evident and can be easily touched
up, and any rust spots nipped in the bud.
Waxoyl is still the best bet inside closed panels, sills, inside the doors, in
the space behind the door striker jamb etc. Porters book has some good tips in
this regard, one of which is the mix the waxoyl with CLEAN motor oil, and thin
with mineral spirits for spray application. As others have stated it is best
applied with air equipment. JC whitney used to sell an air driven applicator
with wands, tips, etc. and it works quite well. Give the black goo that comes
with the kit to someone else, however.
More to the point, the closest US product to Waxoyl I ve seen (and used) is
called "Rustfre", accent on the "e", and sold at NAPA and autoparts stores
etc. It comes in large aerosol cans, and looks and smells almost exactly the
same as waxoyl. I use it to "touch up" the waxoyl treatment on inner fenders
etc. I still us the original where it counts. Cheers, Andy Blackley