Re: Seatbelt warning system

To: Peter Schauss <schauss@worldnet.att.net>
Subject: Re: Seatbelt warning system
From: Paul Hunt <paul.hunt1@virgin.net>
Date: Sat, 07 Feb 1998 16:54:26 +0000
Peter Schauss wrote:

> Can anyone explain how the seatbelt warning system on an '80 MGB works?
>
> When I put my interior back together after replacing my floors and sills,
> I connected the wires which came out of the driver's side seat belt buckle
> to a pair of yellow-brown/brown wires as per the wiring diagram.  In spite
> of this, the car still screams at me for a couple of minutes after I put
> my seat belt on and start it.
>
> I have checked continuity across the wires from the buckle and it appears
> to be an open circuit regardless of whether the belt is buckled.  I also
> tried jumping the yellow-brown and brown wires - still get the buzzer.
>
> Not wanting to become a DPO, I would like to have the system work the
> way it was designed.  Any ideas?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Peter Schauss
> 1963 BJ7
> 1980 MGB

My Workshop Manual shows the drivers seatbelt switch connected to yellow/brown
and
*black* i.e ground, the passengers to yellow/white and black.  If a seat switch
(brown/purple and yellow/blue for driver, brown/purple and yellow green for
passenger) is closed or short (i.e. someone sitting in seat) and its seatbelt
switch
is not open (i.e. seatbelt not fastened) then I would expect the buzzer to
sound.
The buzzer also sounds if the pink and black wires are connected together (i.e.
ignition key in lock) and the pink and purple/green are connected together i.e.
door
open.

PaulH.