test drive

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: test drive
From: Jellyby@aol.com
Date: Thu, 12 Feb 1998 15:12:38 EST
for those of you who have been keeping up with my ongoing evaluation the 77
MGB I want to buy, here's the latest and probably last installment.  I took
the car for a test drive, and it runs well.  The engine is strong, OD works,
transmission seems solid, clutch is not loose and engages easily.  Hell, the
first three gears are easier to work than my every day car.  It didn't pop out
of gear @ high RPMs, suspension took bumps pretty well.  The ride was a little
bumpy, and I asked about it; the guy said it was probably flat spots in the
tires from sitting (that's about what it felt like, too; it felt like it was
occurring on all four tires and was not a sharp bumping such as when a wheel
is bent).  Steering was pretty good, too; not loose and very few corrections
necessary.  Brakes probably need adjustment.  Speedo is a bit unsteady and the
guy found the gas guage to be non-functioning, too.
        Took it to my mechanic, and here's what he found.  Signals/Hazards not
functioning (which the guy said had happened that morning and would be fixed
before purchase), fan for defroster and 1 license plate light not functioning.
Passenger's side headlight needs adjustment.  Left front Kingpin needs
replacement and Right front steering boot needs to be tightened.  Found no
problems with the underbody (made sure he checked the rocker panels, chassis
rails, etc.).  Overall rating: Fair.
        Here's my problem:  The guy wants $2500 OBO for it and I KNOW it's not
worth
that.  I think that, were the gas guage, signals/hazards, kingpin, and
steering boot problems to be repaired, the value of the car maxs out at $1500
(list price for the car in good condition).  But take into account the
interior needing to be refinished, minimal rust repair/body work, a new top,
and a fresh coat of paint, I think a few hundred dollars need to be knocked
off.  But I don't know what a fair offer is; I almost feel that $1000 is too
much...

What do you think?
Sean McComber
Falls Church, VA