Re: Seat foam question

To: MGRagtop@aol.com
Subject: Re: Seat foam question
From: miker15@juno.com (michael j robson)
Date: Thu, 12 Feb 1998 20:58:27 EST
On Thu, 12 Feb 1998 20:11:12 EST MGRagtop@aol.com writes:
>I am planning on fitting new seat foams to my 69 roadster, and I was
>wondering
>on the difficulty on this. The outer leather is in very good
>condition, but
>the innards have worn out, making for an uncomfortable ride. Is this a
>simple
>remove the seat, remove the leather, replace the foam, refit the
>leather,refit
>the seat to the car job or is there a lot more to this than meets the
>eye? I
>am hoping to do this job myself but may go to a pro if there is a
>chance I may
>ruin the leather or something. Any tips would be extremely helpful!
>
>Thanks in advance!
>Stephen P Bartley
>1969 MGB Roadster
>NAMGBR 6-2585

Stephen - it is not a difficult job, especially if you are only doing the
seat and not the back.
69s are however a "little" different since they are a one-off design,
they are wider than the early B seats and have slightly different foams
from the later models - the later foams do however fit.
Just take the seat out, turn it over, remove the "C" clips round the
bottom of the frame -
you can then roll the fabric back.
remove the retaining straps (or diaphragm - straps are original but might
well have been replaced with a diaphragm)-
get the square frames  that hold the straps covered with a stout canvas,
you can use replacement diaphragms or straps but with canvas you will
only need to do it once!!
Refitting is the reverse procedure!
BTW you will wonder why you are 4" taller once the jobs done!!!

mike robson
69 roadster
70 BGT
72 roadster

Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]