New Toys

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: New Toys
From: Chris Delling <saschris@flash.net>
Date: Fri, 13 Feb 1998 13:25:53 -0500
Hello All-

Thought I would share a new toy that is just the ticket for anyone
interested in gauging vehicle performance.  My wife presented it to me as a
gift for our anniversary yesterday, and it's fun.

It's called the G-Force, and it's made by Tesla Electronics.  It is a small
performance "computer" which will monitor 0-60 time, 1/4 mile E.T. and Trap
Speed, 60-0 braking, and with a bit more work, cornering forces, and rear
wheel H.P (sorta a reach on that last one)

The device mounts on the inside of your windsheild, like a radar detector.
It utilizes an accelerometer and a DSP.  Acceleration is monitored, and
integrated over time.  The update rate is every 2.5 milliseconds, and based
on the "instananeous" acceleration, and the time base the device can
determine the time required to reach 60 MPH, or to cover a a quarter mile.
This information is provided on a LED display.

Firmware is also resident to do lateral cornering forces.  The unit must be
installed perpendicular to the "normal" direction of travel.

It will also provide a H.P. at the rear wheel.  This isn't actual H.P.,
because what the device does is calculate the H.P. based on the
acceleration of the vehicle (in a given run) and coupled with the weight of
the vehicle/driver (which you must enter), will calculate a theoretical
H.P.  Ov course, the H.P. number is skewed, due to the fact the the
acceleration numbers reflect the effects of aerodynamics, wind direction,
etc. not to mention the accuracy of the weight input you provide.

Nonetheless, it's fun to play with, and will help anyone who likes to
"tinker and tune" to evaluate the benefits of small modifications to things
like fuel mixture, timing, air filters, and exhausts, determine how much
the modification helps (or hurts!).

The cost is about $150.  I originally saw this thing in Grass Roots
Motorsport Magazine (i think), and there review was pretty good.

All the usual disclaimers apply.

Regards,

Chris Delling