Slightly off-topic British (sort of) car stuff

To: jensen-cars@british-steel.org, mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Slightly off-topic British (sort of) car stuff
From: WSpohn4@aol.com
Date: Wed, 18 Feb 1998 16:00:07 EST
I was just talking to a friend about his current project, and it occurred to
me that it might be of interest to two groups that I frequent, the MG and the
Jensen group.

This friend, who races an MGA Twincam as I do, (well, perhaps not with quite
the same degree of celerity), in vintage, owns the MG Liquid Suspension
Special, a 1964 Indy car.

The only MG connection is the fact that it was sponsored by MG, and had hydro-
spastic suspension bulbs on all four corners from a Mini, or arguably from an
MG 1100.

The Jensen connection is that the sponsor was Kjell Qvale, who as all good
Jensen fans know, took over the North American (and largely the English) end
of the Jensen concern.

My friend tells me that the starting regime for the Offy engine is to raise
the car off the ground, take the spark plugs out, and approach it with a large
portable hand held starter, which is only barely either hand held or portable,
being powered by 3 batteries on a (heavy) cart attached by cables. This 24
volt starter is inserted carefully (and one presumes respectfully) in the
derriere of the car, and you then hit the button, try to hold onto the
starter, and wait for a) oil pressure, and b) methanol to spray out of the
open plug holes.

At this point, assuming that conditions are optimal for starting, you
reinstall the spark plugs, and once again hit the button. All things going
well, this is rewarded with fire in the hole, and a frantic attempt to
disengage the clutch (remember, the starter only works on the engine in gear
with the clutch engaged), withdraw the starter, drop the car on the ground,
and get it moving before it overheats (fans being considered strictly
optional).

All in all a 20 minute exercise. I didn't ask if it needed warm up plugs or
not. We intend to start it at least once (I am the designated wine
provider/opener) and hopefully all will survive. I'm not too sure what the
neighbours in his residential area will think about an Indy car firing up in
the back yard, but we'll deal with that when we get there.

Bill S.