Re: Canada-US Way off topic! -- History Lesson

To: <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>, "John J. Peloquin" <peloquin@mamba.bio.uci.edu>
Subject: Re: Canada-US Way off topic! -- History Lesson
From: "Dan Ray" <danray@bluegrass.net>
Date: Wed, 18 Feb 1998 21:35:58 -0600
I'm going to school again...since I was taught that the British burnt the
capitol! I suppose if the Canucks get a kick out of thinking that they did
it...fine. Was it a Canadian unit (conscripts, most likely) that was on the
ships that moved up the Potomac? Please educate this poor product of
Southern US public edumacation.
I understand the tactical portion, since at the time the Potomac was poorly
defended and said defense managed.
Is this a national pride thing they teach you Canadians? Is it as simple as
the flag game we played in camp? The war of 1812 was won by the US, was it
not? (The terms that ended that war were advantageous to only one side)
Burning D.C. was not a "win", and it's been thought of more than once, if
you get my drift....
Dan
born in Fairfax County,Va ...and obviously educationally disadvantaged