An expensive '80 MGB

To: MG List <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: An expensive '80 MGB
From: Robert Allen <boballen@sky.net>
Date: Wed, 18 Feb 1998 21:22:01 -0600
I just spent the Valentines/President day weekend out in Phoenix. I
visited my folks, entertained my relatives, and, as much as possible,
snooped around looking for cars. I ended up looking at 5 different cars
but the most interesting was. . .

80 MG-B, White, black leather has an unbelievably low 5,500 miles. This
is prime! "One Block South of McDowell CULIVER OLDS-CADILLAC 1200 N.
Scottsdale Rd. (602) 945-1200

This car is really something. A bone stock, white, non-overdrive MGB
which really shows 5,500 miles on the odometer and looks it. Under the
hood is completely clean and, to my eye, all of the expected wiring and
emissions stuff is installed, operational, and looks like it came off
the show room floor. Even the cardboard wind block between the radiator
and motor is there and only slightly faded. The car has (presumably) a
new top, the interior is perfect, and the only non-stock stuff I could
find was a carpet boot and spare tire cover. Also the black "MGB" side
stripe. No half-tonneau but the rails are there with the goofy fiber/cat
fur bag. Underneath the car was spotless. The exhaust pipe was painted
and not rusty (not stock?) and there were no obvious fluid leaks. The
car fired up and sounded like a typical water-choked single-carb. I
didn't bother to drive it.

Cut to the chase: They are asking $11,900. I argued that was out of
line. I offered $8,000 and they wouldn't go for it. On the one hand,
I've never seen an MGB in such pristine, unrestored condition. On the
other hand, if you bought it you would merely have a bone-stock 1980 R-B
'B'.

#1 - $9,600 - EXCELLENT: Not driven 95-plus point show car
#2 - $6,700 - FINE: Almost #1 but driven 800 to 1000 miles a year
#3 - $3,850 - VERY GOOD: Completely operational but showing wear.

BTW, According to the same source, the most collectible 'B' is the 1963
or 1964 model years:
#1 - $12,500
#2 - $8,800
#3 - $5,000

The least collectible is the RB years with the '80 slightly favored.
Most of the 'nice' cars we own are #3 cars. . .

If anyone scarfs this car from my lead, I'd like to know about it.
--
Bob Allen, Kansas City, '69CGT, '75TR6 (both #4s)
"Our bombs are smarter than the average high school student. At least