Re: Canada-US

To: Trevor Boicey <tboicey@brit.ca>
Subject: Re: Canada-US
From: "John J. Peloquin" <peloquin@mamba.bio.uci.edu>
Date: Mon, 23 Feb 1998 07:31:23 -0800 (PST)
Dear Trevor,

On Fri, 20 Feb 1998, Trevor Boicey wrote:

=%ONory wrote:
=%O>
=%O> Glen,
=%O>
=%O> Couldn't have said it better myself.  I would add to those players, Guy
=%O> Lefluer and Gilbert Perreault - Great skaters, puck handlers, and
=%O> shooters, and I don't think I ever saw them fight either.
=%O
=%O  I think you need to learn a bit more about the game before
=%Omaking comments.
=%O
=%O  NOBODY is talking about fighting.
=%O
=%O  The original comment was about BODY CHECKING.
=%O
=%O  In the women's game, BODY CHECKING IS A PENALTY. You cannot use
=%Oany of the physical techniques of hockey, they are all removed.

Body checking is not the only physical technique in hockey. Contact
incidental to the play was NOT called as a penalty. I saw contact, NOT
Penalized nor mentioned as against the rules VERY much like the contact
that is allowed in Soccer. It appeared that if one played the puck and
there was a collision incidental to the play- ie, it didn't result in
a full on body check/boarding,, no foul. For example, I saw some
really nice poke checks breaking up a 3 on two drive, resulting in
the poker colliding with the checkee. No penalty. However
if one went through the person with the puck with no attempt to poke check
etc., or someone was slammed up against the boards, then the penalty was
called- playing the man, not the puck, looked to be the principle
involved in awarding a penalty.

BTW, NBA basketball is a "non-contact" sport.....

=%O
=%O  That is why I am comparing to touch football. I am not saying
=%Othat NFL/CFL/WFL football would be a better game if they were
=%Oallowed to fight.
=%O
=%O  What I am saying is that non-contact football (touch football) is
=%Osimply not football. The same for non-contact hockey.

Trevor, it is BODY CHECKING that is outlawed, not the sundry and
incidental contact that occurs apart from the slamming into the boards we
are used to in the men's game.. They aren't freakin playing BANDY
out there!

=%O
=%O  It's fun, it requires skill, and we can respect those that
=%Odo well at it. But it's not hockey.
=%O
=%O--
=%OTrevor Boicey
=%OOttawa, Canada
=%Otboicey@brit.ca
=%Ohttp://www.brit.ca/~tboicey/
=%O

"Never ascribe to Malice that which can be explained by Ignorance"

John J. Peloquin
Molecular Biology &
  Biochemistry
3205 BioSciences II