Paint types,

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Paint types,
From: ejrussell@sprynet.com
Date: Mon, 23 Feb 1998 17:47:21 -0800 (PST)
Here is my experience with DIY paint jobs: Lacquer is the easiest and most
forgiving but least durable. 2 part Enamels are the most toxic. Base coat/clear
coat has the best look (glossy) but can be difficult to 'touch-up'. My opinion
for the best compromise (esp for 'daily-driver') is an acrylic enamel with a
hardener additive. (Less toxic than true 2 part enamel but you still must have
proper respirator and ventilation.) Very good gloss, fast drying, fairly tough
and touch-up-able. I painted my '41 Chevy a few years ago with Dupont acrylic
enamel with a polyurethane hardener. I am very happy with the results. It is
parked outside, gets washed and waxed occasionally. Looks great IMHO.

Eric <ejrussell@sprynet.com>
Bridgewater, MA
'41 Chevy 1 1/2 ton
'58 Volvo 544