FAn replacment on late model (77) B Roadster

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: FAn replacment on late model (77) B Roadster
From: hdr@Ross.COM (Henry D. Reynolds Ext. 2210)
Date: Tue, 24 Feb 98 00:35:37 CST
I am in replacing cooling fans on '77 MGB w/ single 14" electric fan. This car
still had dealer(TX) installed A/C  the w/ 2 electric fans and a water pump
mounted fan w/ the blades cropped down to about 2 in. !?!

The problem is that the anti-roll bar is in the way of the fan housing, behind
the radiator.  :(

As a solution I have fashioned two wooden spacers ~ 3/4 in. thick and fitted
between radiator flange and bulkhead moving the fan forward.

 This is my first rubber-bumper (5th MGB since I got my first one in '79)

So I have some questions:

 1) Has any one done something like this before? My early model B's always had a
    small wooden spacer between radiator bulkhead and radiator mounting flange.

 2) Any reason to replace the fan shroud? It's practically in pieces anyway.

 3) How do you fix the fan relay into the radiator? mine was just a sliding fit
    into the radiator.

-- once had a '74, '70, and now own '72B, '77B, '73-4pieces.
-- never owned a midget or a GT, No GT
-- Got My 5th MG I'm Henery.....(silly digression)

- If we aren't supposed to eat animals than why are they made of meat?
Henry D. Reynolds           hdr@jump.net
FONE: (512)448-3617         3205 Clawson Rd. Austin, TX. 78704