(forw) MGB Ownership -Reply

To: Shepherd25@aol.com
Subject: (forw) MGB Ownership -Reply
From: Kenneth Scott <KSCOTT@HOLYCROSS.EDU>
Date: Tue, 24 Feb 1998 08:54:32 -0500
Hi,
Following my reply is the message that triggered it.  I am the
happy owner of a 1977 MGB roadster.  I purchased it eight
years ago with 78,000 miles on it.  I have put 74,000 miles
on it during the past seven summers.  I have driven it daily
and have NEVER been stranded.  I have toured atlantic
Canada, and driven almost 1000 miles in ONE DAY with no
problem.  I have autocrossed it(and won), rallied it(and won),
run it up to triple digits on Summit Point Raceway (and won't
do that again, once is enough).  I am not a mechanic but I
make sure to do whatever I can do to keep it working
properly.  These cars are NOT pieces of crap.  They ARE
simple machines which, if cared for properly (oil changes
etc.) will last forever and give excellent dependability.  If you
abuse them and neglect them they will fail. If you are only
going to drive 1000 to 2000 miles per year then you should
have no more problems with these than any other car.  I, for
one, would not even think about being without one of these.

>>> Skye Poier <skye@jungle.direct.ca> 02/23/98 05:02pm

Show this poor soul The Way ;)

Skye

(he's not on the list - got my address from my web site)

-----Forwarded message from Ddfmail1@aol.com-----

I am new to MG's and have been doing some research on
them.  I have fallen in
love with them and using some tips from your web site have
located a 76 MGB to
restore.   Since I will need a lot of help with the engine work,
I have been
trying to find someone to help me with it in Lexington,
Kentucky where I live.
I have found several mechanics who work on them, but all of
them basically
tried to talk me out of buying one because they are basically
"pieces of junk
that always need work".  That quote came from the former
service manager of MG
franchise in Lexington.

You obviously love them, what gives?  Since I won't be able
to do the
mechanical myself, am I making a mistake in buying one?
Should I try
something else?  It will just be a car I drive 1,000 to 2,000
miles per year
after I restore it.

Help.....please e-mail me with your thoughts at
Shepherd25@aol.com

Thanks

-----End of forwarded message-----