Re: Front hubs.

To: RobMGB@aol.com
Subject: Re: Front hubs.
From: Paul Hunt <paul.hunt1@virgin.net>
Date: Tue, 24 Feb 1998 20:43:28 +0000
RobMGB@aol.com wrote:

> I have 74B that I just replaced front rotors and installed the oversize V8
> pads on.
> I took the hubs to my mechanic to check the bearings and repack them. He said
> the only trick in putting the assembly back together was in installing the
> shims between the hub and the outer bearing. I was to install all 4 shims and
> remove one at a time till the hub would not rock back and forth. On the right
> side I removed 3 before the hub would not rock. On the driver side with 3
> removed I still get a slight rock front to back but not side to side. My
> Haynes manual sez this endfloat is to be between .002 & .004" but I'm not sure
> where to measure or if I can measure a movement that small. Is the small
> movement on the right side ok or should I notice some slight movement. Is the
> driver's side too loose and how & where do I measure.
> robmgb@aol.com
> 74mgb

The shims are of different thicknesses.  Remove and replace shims until with
the smallest
shim out there is no play and with it back in there is.  Only grease the new
bearings when
you have got the shims right.  Pack then from one side only and keep pressing
it in until
it comes out the other side all the way round.

PaulH.