Off Topic Hey Abbott!!

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Off Topic Hey Abbott!!
From: Tom Buchanan <buchanan@preferred.com>
Date: Tue, 24 Feb 1998 19:36:41 -0500
ABBOTT AND COSTELLO MEET WINDOWS 95

Costello:  Hey, Abbott!

Abbot:  Yes, Lou?

Costello:  I just got my first computer.

Abbot:  That's great Lou. What did you get?

Costello:  A Pentium II-266, with 40 Megs of RAM, a 2.1 Gig hard
drive, and a 24X CD-ROM.

Abbot:  That's terrific, Lou.

Costello:  But I don't know what any of it means!!

Abbot:  You will in time.

Costello:  That's exactly why I am here to see you.

Abbot:  Oh?

Costello:  I heard that you are a real computer expert.

Abbot:  Well, I don't know-

Costello:  Yes-sir-ee. You know your stuff. And you're going to train
me.

Abbot:  Really?

Costello:  Uh huh. And I am here for my first lesson.

Abbot:  O.K. Lou. What do want to know?

Costello:  I am having no problem turning it on, but I heard that you
should be very careful how you turn it off.

Abbot:  That's true.

Costello:  So, here I am working on my new computer and I want to
turn it off. What do I do?

Abbot:  Well, first you press the Start button, and then-

Costello:  No, I told you, I want to turn it off.

Abbot:  I know, you press the Start button-

Costello:  Wait a second. I want to turn it off. Off. I know how to
start it. So tell me what to do.

Abbot:  I did.

Costello:  When?

Abbot:  When I told you to press the Start button.

Costello:  Why should I press the Start button?

Abbot:  To shut off the computer.

Costello:  I press Start to stop.

Abbot:  Well Start doesn't actually stop the computer.

Costello:  I knew it! So what do I press.

Abbot:  Start

Costello:  Start what?

Abbot:  Start button.

Costello:  Start button to do what?

Abbot:  Shut down.

Costello:  You don't have to get rude!

Abbot:  No, no, no! That's not what I meant.

Costello:  Then say what you mean.

Abbot:  To shut down the computer, press-

Costello:  Don't say, "Start!"

Abbot:  Then what do you want me to say?

Costello:  Look, if I want to turn off the computer, I am willing to
press the Stop button, the End button and Cease and Desist button, but no
one in their right mind presses the Start to Stop.

Abbot:  But that's what you do.

Costello:  And you probably Go at Stop signs, and Stop at green
lights.

Abbot:  Don't be ridiculous.

Costello:  I am being ridiculous? Well. I think it's about time we
started this conversion.

Abbot:  What are you talking about?

Costello:  I am starting this conversation right now. Good-bye.

Tom Buchanan
buchanan@preferred.com
http://pages.preferred.com/~buchanan/mg.html
1974 MGB-GT