Re: Wires

To: gofastmg@juno.com
Subject: Re: Wires
From: WSpohn4 <WSpohn4@aol.com>
Date: Sat, 28 Feb 1998 19:40:08 EST
In a message dated 2/28/98 4:15:15 PM PST,  gofastmg@juno.com writes:

<< what tire are you running in Vintage?
 Right now we are running a set of Goodyear T/A competiton compounds. My
 driver says he loves the "sticktion" he's getting, but looking at the
 tires after a few hot laps, I'm not so sure we couldn't do better. Of
 course the Yoko A008's are an option >>

I, and most of my peers, use Goodrich Comp TA's in a special 'R-1' compound
for racing. I have compared them to some really sticky racing recaps I have on
Formula V rear carcasses, and the TAs are only a second or so slower. They
have the advantage of availability, and they don't cause eligibility problems
like the 008's do locally.
The R-1 isn't a street tire and is shaved. It would wear out pretty quickly on
the street. I drive as a daily driver, an 88 Fiero GT with an engine that I
built that gives about 300 bhp, and I run street version Comp TAs on it as
well, and am quite pleased with them.

I run the R-1s in 185 - 70 size on 5 1/2" Twincam steel wheels, without
clearance problems. They are taller than my old race tires, but then I run a
4.88 LSD diff which works well with the larger size; I used to run a 4:55.

Bill S.