Re: Best Models?

To: WSpohn4@aol.com
Subject: Re: Best Models?
From: dmeadow@juno.com
Date: Mon, 2 Mar 1998 15:47:00 -0600
On Mon, 2 Mar 1998 16:07:29 EST WSpohn4 <WSpohn4@aol.com> writes:
>Next - MGA. Personal preference, but I like the styling of the A best
>of all,

That statement just got you into the Bill Eastman Society of
Self-Congratulatory MGA Owners (BESSCMGAO)!!  Welcome to the club!!

>the summer for touring, and in any but the 1600 Mk2, a bit lacking in
>power.

I'd go with that (owning a Mk2, as I do, of course does not create bias).
 I think the Mk2 is often unfairly overlooked as an excellent sports car
with the power that was lacking in earlier models.  It is also a much
better alternative to putting in a non-original "B" motor in an early MGA
or having to deal with the idiosyncracies and expense of repair of a Twin
Cam.  Although I understand that the early problems with the engine have
been fixed, its rarity can make repairs expensive or even impossible, I
understand.  I suppose the penultimate MGA, by this measure, would be the
Mk2 Deluxe, which had everything the twin cam and Mk2 had except the
twinkie motor.

>the Coupe. A bit scarce, but much nicer for highway work, and you get
some >forced draft from the quarter windows, while your friends in the
roadsters are >baking.

But I've heard that the coupe is even noisier and hotter than the
roadster, no?  I've never ridden in one, but I have a couple of friends
that have put A/C in them, whereas they never thought to do that with the
roadsters they have owned.

It is obvious from your descriptions that your perspective is as a
driver, not a collector or, except for your comment on the MGA, as an
admirer of automotive styling.  Therefore, no mention of any MG prior to
the MGA.

David Littlefield
Houston, TX
'62 MGA MkII
'51 MGTD
'88 Jaguar XJ-S

Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]