Wire Woes

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Wire Woes
From: John Middlesworth <jape@email.unc.edu>
Date: Mon, 2 Mar 1998 18:11:55 -0500 (EST)
On the 72 MGB I'm working on, I see some evidence of serious heat in the
wiring that goes up the steering column.  Probably some wires burned there
in the past.  I have replaced the turn signal switch.  At this point
though, I'm considering the wires around the lighting switch.  I turn the
headlamps on and the wires attached to the switch start warming up.  Hot
wires are high-resistance wires, so I shut the lamps off before I see
another meltdown.  Here are my questions:

1. Could halogen headlamps cause this overheating?
2. Could it be the result of DPO using the wrong gauge wire from the
switch to the fusebox?
3. Is there a fuse that would blow before wires start melting?
4. What could be the problem?

John Middlesworth