Re: alloy wheels for '75 MGB

Subject: Re: alloy wheels for '75 MGB
From: robert weeks <robert@woozy.com>
Date: Mon, 2 Mar 1998 21:35:34 -0400
>Another question, one problem I'm having is a vibration at 65-70 mph, do
>out of true wheels shake at specific rpm (like an out of balance wheel
>does), or does it progressively worse with speed? Maybe I should have
>the balance double checked on my wheels before I splurge....

hello,

I was having the same problem on my Midget with wire wheels until today.
What changed is that I finally went out and got a new set of Michelins and
had the wheels balanced and aligned. I'm not sure which helped more the
new tires or the balance/alignment (most likely the combo ;-) but after I
had the work done I took the car out on the highway and it was rock steady
all of the way up to 95 mph! Felt like the car was glued to the road, I've
never had such a great ride in a spridget.

Granted it could be any number of things that may be making your car shake,
but I'd definately check the balance and alignment before I boughT new wheels.
I know for a fact that my wires aren't perfectly true but they sure do ride
nice now.

Robert Weeks
Durham NC
1969 Midget