lumpy idle

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net, british-cars@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: lumpy idle
From: Alan Lott <lottala@mail.auburn.edu>
Date: Tue, 03 Mar 1998 09:45:40 -0600
Hope this isn't a duplicate, but I received an error message back after I
sent it yesterday. So, if its a dup, my apologies :)

First of all I'd like to thank everyone for their help on this one. The
response was amazing (I think I received about 40 some-odd replies). I
started replying and thanking individually, but was quickly overwhelmed.
So, as much as I hate to, I'm going to do a group thank-you to all who
offered suggestions. So..."Thank You!!"  :)

#1 the valve cover gasket (while under the care of the PO) had leaked
sufficiently to degrade the paper components in the exhaust/intake manifold
gasket...I have this part ordered and it should be here tomorrow. This may
be the main source of air leakage.

#2 all of the six small gaskets between the intake and the carbs were in
really bad shape. new gaskets to be reinstalled when i replace the
exhaust/intake manifold gasket.

#3 perhaps the most irritating thing...I paid $150 to have my carbs
rebuilt. Upon removing them, I found that the throttle slides had been
reversed (front carb components in the rear carb, etc,) and the rear carb
was binding (not closing properly after throttling up). Quite irritating
really. Anyway, I reversed the components and both carbs are now working
properly. This may or may not have been a contributing factor.

So, I'll (hopefully) reassemble Tuesday night and give y'all a report on
Wednesday. Again, thanks so much for all of the help. :)

Regards,

Alan Lott

1971 MGB