1975 Midget Lever Shocks, etc.

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: 1975 Midget Lever Shocks, etc.
From: HORNERLJH <HORNERLJH@aol.com>
Date: Thu, 5 Mar 1998 10:09:48 EST
1. Cheapest gas/petrol px in New Canaan, CT. is USD1.35.9/USgal.!
    Supporting our end of the bell shaped px curve!  We are also the home of
New England's largest Suburban (42 gal tank) dealer.  My mirth knows no bounds
at their plight.
2.  I am midway through the process of refilling my original Armstrong lever
shocks on the '75 Midget.  As a word of warning to other masochists I
discovered that to fill the driver's side (LHD) one needs to remove the
expertly engineered air pump and oil filter to access the space.  Have plenty
of paper towels handy.  Remove plug & spring valve.  Using a long, flexible
necked squirter can quickly fill chamber (I'm using ATF), replace valve & cap,
bounce corner up and down vigorously, remove plug & cap, and quickly fill
again before fluid flows back into valve chamber.  Repeat until you really
can't get any more in or until you have discovered that it has all leaked out
onto your garage floor!
3.  Will now attempt the rear, but think I need to put car on stands with
front chocked.  That will make the "bouncing" dangerous, so I'll, be careful,
or will the car to the List.  Anybody have a better and safer way to do this
part, please?
4.  Is there a product that removes the brownish crud from the plastic windows
on the convertible top/hood?

Regards & thanks,
Jack Horner
1975 MG Midget, original/only owner
1981 Ferrari Mondial 8
Various Audi family-movers
No SUV

 P.S.  Thx to CT MG Car Club for info.  Returning form and USD's a.s.a.p.