Re: That sick feeling...

To: bwylie@hiwaay.net
Subject: Re: That sick feeling...
From: gofastmg@juno.com (Rick Morrison)
Date: Thu, 05 Mar 1998 21:37:20 EST
On Thu, 5 Mar 1998 18:49:03 -0600 (CST) Blake Wylie <bwylie@hiwaay.net>
writes:
>Today started as a good day...yeah...it may have been overcast, but
>everything was going smooth.  The car was running good, got out of
>class
>early, didn't have much else going for the rest of the day.  I was
>just
>going to take it easy.
>
>I go out to the parking lot, put something in on the passenger door,
>and
>walk around the front of the car admiring it.  "Ahh...can't wait until
>the
>sunshine comes out..."  Then I stop dead in my tracks, and a sick
>feeling
>comes over me. As I look down, I see my bonnect squished down into the
>grille area.  I look around, the car in front of me had already left
>long
>ago (parallel parking, nonetheless).  I look around for help, and I
>have no
>choice but to go call campus security.
>
>No, this person didn't even have the decency to leave a note, and I
>hopelessly look around at a few scraps of paper on the ground.  I
>wouldn't
>have that much luck.  Of course, I only have liability on the car, and
>since
>the other person didn't bother to be decent, I guess the money is
>going to
>have to come out of my own pocket.  I struggle and struggle, as a
>full-time
>college student, to make something worth my while...something I can be
>proud
>of, and someone has to just go and destroy a little bit of that hard
>work.
>
>"It could have been a lot worse," I say to myself.  At least the
>bonnet was
>the only thing damaged.  It looks like hell though...oh that sick
>feeling.
>I come to appreciate the recessed grille a little more too.  It would
>have
>been destroyed if it were any other style.  Just a little bending
>outward
>will fix it.  Maybe a little body work and a coat of paint can fix
>that
>bonnet.  Still, I'll be paying for it myself.
>
>After campus security had left and finished their useless report, I do
>little investigating of my own.  Looking close, I can tell that
>whatever did
>this was a red vehicle with rubber bumpers...painted rubber bumpers.
>From
>the angle it hit the bonnet (from above), it was probably a pickup.
>Now my
>only satisfaction is going to be searching the parking lot over the
>next few
>weeks until I find that vehicle, and inspect their rear bumper for the
>slightest scratch.  No, I'm not out for revenge.  All I want is the
>decency
> [...]

I can empathize with you Blake.
 Last football season, I was calling some Little League games and when I
left the stadium I saw that the grill on my BGT had been pushed back
about 3 inches and mangled.
 A local county cop was there as security, so he filled out a report. A
couple of parents were able to tell him (and me) that the car was hit, by
a black pickup (one of zillions around here!!) and gave a modest
description of the driver. It described to a "T" a coach I had ejected
from an earlier game.
 Apparently, he decided to get a little of his own back, by putting his
trailer hitch through the grill.
 But, I had the last word. An unofficial "word of prayer" with the league
director, and that gentleman is no longer allowed to coach, assist, or
attend any game put on by the league.
 I still had to pay for a new grill, though
Rick Morrison
72 MGBGT
74 Midget

Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]