RE: High end lack of MGA power

To: "EMPcoLWE@aol.com" <EMPcoLWE@aol.com>
Subject: RE: High end lack of MGA power
From: patti morris <mgj2@globaldialog.com>
Date: Fri, 6 Mar 1998 21:03:18 -0600
Eric, I'll throw in a single cent.

I had bad high end performance on my MGA. We were living in the hills of
Pennsylvania and had brought the MG out after it had sat for a couple of
years. It was a chore to climb the hills in it. It ran fine at idle and low
speeds and the timing looked fine when I checked it....until I thought to
rev the engine to see if the mark moved to indicate that the advance was
working....not.

I found two problems. First was that the centifugal advance, inside the
distributor, was sticking from lack of lubrication. This just needed a
cleaning and oiled. Second, the vacuum advance wasn't working at all and I
replaced the vacuum unit. I also replaced the plate that the points mount
on because it seemed be worn. Replaced the points and condenser. Set the
timing again. It made a BIG difference.

Hope your problem is this easy to fix.

John
'57 MGA