Fwd: Voltmeter solution

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Fwd: Voltmeter solution
From: JWidell625 <JWidell625@aol.com>
Date: Sat, 7 Mar 1998 20:56:17 EST

--part0_889322178_boundary

From: JWidell625 <JWidell625@aol.com>
To: autox@team.net
Subject: Voltmeter solution
Date: Sat, 7 Mar 1998 20:51:34 EST

To those who have suffered with MGB electrical problems as I have, take note.
I always found in incongruous that the MG had NO electrical gauges at all. I
wanted a voltmeter in my 77 B, but could'nt find a gauge to match the stock
ones. I even (momentarily) contemplated changing all of the gauges to the
"old" style, but found it to be cost prohibitive.

I found a "Smiths" voltmeter at XKs Inlimited, in San Luis Obispo, but it too
was the "old style" top pivot type.  I experimented and found that the gauge
fit perfectly into the cigarete lighter recess under the radio.  I drilled a 2
1/8 hole where the old cigarette lighter was, and a new 1" hole where the
unknown purpose, never functioning -light was just to the lower right of the
new gauge. The wiring was pretty straightforward, as there are good 12 volt
connections and dimmer switch hookups readily available. Total cost, about
$45. Despite the gauge being a little different from the stock, it is British
and it does look good.

I just completed the project, took a test drive around Key Largo, and found
that I don't get a whole lot of voltage out of a relatively new Lucas
alternator.  That's the next project.

As a side note, why does the Lucas produce so much less amperage than a GM of
similar size?

Joel Widell  Key Largo, FL
Jwidell625@aol.com

--part0_889322178_boundary--