Re: British Cars in the USA Question

To: bruset@home.com, owner-mgs@Autox.Team.Net, mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: British Cars in the USA Question
From: MGSMGBGT <MGSMGBGT@aol.com>
Date: Mon, 9 Mar 1998 14:05:31 EST
In a message dated 3/9/98 3:54:37 PM, bruset@home.com wrote:

>What's the general thought of Sterlings? Are they on the same level of
>quality / luxury you might expect from BMW or Mercedes??

I do not know that I can reply generally, but among my friends and fellow LBC
owners Sterlings are held in high regard.  My '88 825sl is fast, (about 8
seconds from 0 to 60, top end @ 134 MPH) comfortable, economical (about 28-32
mg @ 75 mph) capable and a willing high speed cruiser.  It now has 170k on it,
uses very little oil (about 1 quart /2500 mi., and is as comfortable and
stable at 95 as at 55.  It was not well received generally as people thought
they were buying an English Acura.  While I've had little trouble with it, it
does have a few peculiarities.  The speedometer sometimes sticks on 0, but a
quick tap on the top of the dash and it is fine.  The tach will bury itself
when it is cold, but when the car warms up it is fine.  The sun roof switch
burned out, and the mirror switch that moves the mirrors to the left does not
work properly.  The transmission was rebuilt at about 150k, typical for Acuras
is 135k, and the leather has started to deteriorate. The tin worm is also in
evidence in the fenders and the bottom of the doors.
        In terms of ride, performance, dependability and luxury is very similar
to a
friends BMW 328.  I have had fewer problems, however.
        If they were still available in the US would I buy another?  IN A
SECOND!
But as that is not the case, I will either rebuild the one I have or find
another to run.  It is easily my favorite of all sedans (pardon me, saloon)
type autos I've ever owned.  There is not anything else on the market quite
like it today.
        OBTW, the 827 is faster.

Bob Shaw
'57 MGA