Re: MGB Jack Failure - Jack Points

To: danray@bluegrass.net
Subject: Re: MGB Jack Failure - Jack Points
From: gofastmg@juno.com (Rick Morrison)
Date: Mon, 09 Mar 1998 20:20:44 EST
I doubt I qualify as an expert, but that has never stopped me! so here
goes

On Mon, 9 Mar 1998 18:22:06 -0600 "Dan Ray" <danray@bluegrass.net>
writes:
>This brings up a point I've been meaning to ask.
>I've been getting tired of using the stock jack -- luckily my tubes
>and
>sills seem fine.
>What are THE best jack points on this car? Are the "A" arms ok on the
>front?

Yes,  or if the particular jack you are using is too short, the front
crossmember is a good second choice. Thirs possibility is the front frame
arms,extending from the firewall. Sometimes, in the case of a flat, some
scissor jacks wont fit under the A-arm, especially toward the outer end,
so an alternitive should be in order.

>I've read somewhere that the points in back where the forward of the
>leaf
>springs are connected is ok...
 Just make sure the jack pad in on the spring mount plate, and not on the
floor pan. Strange bumps will appear as if by magic in the floor just
behind the seats.

Before you obtain a jack, measure the car at several possible jacking
points (A-arm, rear spring mount, etc, etc), taking into consideration a
flat tire (which will lower the car quite a bit on that corner), and make
sure the jack you select will go under the car in such a situation.
Nothing is more frustrating that to find that the nifty jack which will
lift the car 9" or more in the drive way, won't go under the frame when
you're on the side of the road with a flat (Been there - Done that) I now
use the jack from a 80 Honda Accord which while winning the battle with a
Dodge K-car, lost the war,and went to the Great Crusher in the Sky
Rick Morrison