Re: MGB-GT Restoration

To: Bowentr6@aol.com
Subject: Re: MGB-GT Restoration
From: miker15@juno.com
Date: Tue, 10 Mar 1998 22:45:56 EST
On Tue, 10 Mar 1998 22:17:03 EST Bowentr6 <Bowentr6@aol.com> writes:
>Help! I need some advice for a friend on his newly acquired 72' MGB-GT
>that is sitting in my driveway. Here's the story:
>
>The car was bought for $800.00 on the spot. Towed it to my house where
>it sits waiting for spring. It runs & drives (sound familiar, drove it
into
>the garage). It's got a weber carb & header (Su's in box). The interior
is
>ratty. Outer body is fair. Suspension needs going over. It appears the
car
>was a daily driver, then stored for a few years.
>
>The question I have is about the inner body... The right inner fender
>is rusted through by the wheel well. Passenger floor pan has a rust
hole,
>and the right side outer & inner sills are soft, or rusted through. Left
side
>seems stronger upon initial inspection.

>The question: is this car worth the trouble and $  to properly repair
>the body? I hate to advise my friend to sink money into mechanical stuff

>without having a proper foundation. Is this something that can be done
by a
>novice? Or best left to the professionals?
>
>Would it be better to search for a car that is more sound?
>
>Your advice is appreciated.
>
>Tom Bowen
>69 TR6
>68 MGB ( Father in law's car in my garage)
>72 MGB GT (Friend's new project)

Tom - Hate to say it but it sounds suspiciously like a parts car at this
point - if the castle sections are rusted through you ae probably looking
at a whole new front end - not just patches and fenders - couple that
with new floors and rockers - which you already know about - and add
"probable" rust in the rear section, gas tank etc and you would probably
find it cheaper to buy a Heritage shell.
Whether its worth it or not depends on your friends degree of enthusiasm,
expertise and the depth of his pockets but its been said many many times
here that mechanical elements are positively cheap compared to bodywork.
I'd suggest you get it looked at by a body shop - where do you live?

mike robson
69 roadster
70 BGT
72 roadster