Re: need advice on 1600 rebuild

To: code5 <code5@ibm.net>
Subject: Re: need advice on 1600 rebuild
From: Susan and John Roper <vscjohn@iamerica.net>
Date: Tue, 17 Mar 1998 11:16:10 -0600
code5 wrote:

> Hello--
> I just took my 1600 engine parts to a machine shop today. I could use
> some advice on ways to improve performance.
> I want to increase the power but don't know which are the most
> cost-effective ways to do it.  One mechanic I talked to (Kim
> Graff--Amsterdam NY) advised an aluminum flywheel, a "mild"cam and
> stainless steel valves with 'flowed' stems.
> I've read about porting, increasing the compression ratio with flat
> pistons, etc.
> Will boring it out make a difference, or will I also need a new head?
> I don't want a race engine, but would like to get the most performance
> for the money I put into customizing it.
> I'd appreciate any tips from the group.

You already have the right idea.  Don't get crazy.  A Race engine on the
street is a pain.  You want compression in the 9 to 9.5 range, improved
flow through the head, a little bit more cam in the midrange and perhaps
some carb and exhaust help.  Talk to David Vizard or David Anton at APT,
714 783 8280, really knowledgable.  Be especially careful about the
cam.  You want to increase torque and midrange power but not get into
horsepower at high revs.  John Roper