Newsgroup

Subject: Newsgroup
From: "James E Kearman" <jkearman@javanet.com>
Date: Tue, 17 Mar 1998 08:55:34 -0500
I get more traffic on this mailing list than on all of several usenet
newsgroups I read put together. I was using Juno to receive mail for a while
because I didn't want to bury my AOL inbox. Then I got a real ISP and
started using Netscape, and then Internet Explorer. These programs have
email (and newsgroup) "filters," which allow you to sort mail from a mailing
list into folders, and even block mail from certain sources or containing
certain words in the Subject: line.

Now all my MG mail goes into an MG folder for reading at my leisure, and
doesn't interfere with real correspondence. Further, I have blocked such
subjects as "Non-LBC" and "IOOF," which really cuts down on the number of
messages that get through. Write to me offline (just don't put Non-LBC or
IOOF in the Subject line!) if you need help with filters (Hint: You need two
filters: Put mgs@autox.team.net in both To: and CC: filters.)

An MG or British cars newsgroup would certainly succeed; as I said above,
this mailing list is more active (albeit most of the stuff is off-topic)
than many usenet newsgroups. If someone wanted to start a newsgroup I would
read it, but I would also read the mailing list. One does not preclude the
other. There are advantages to both.

Jim
1973 MGB
-------