Re: Free-Wheeling and 2 strokes

To: "Jack I. Brooks" <brooks@belcotech.com>
Subject: Re: Free-Wheeling and 2 strokes
From: mmcewen@gpu.srv.ualberta.ca (John McEwen)
Date: Thu, 19 Mar 1998 09:39:28 -0700
Jack, you are quite right about the 2-stroke deceleration problem but it
tends to apply more to engines using oil injection which the DKW engine did
not.  I don't know if SAAB added oil injection initially but I suspect they
used it later on.  The free-wheel unit could be controlled manually so that
it could be locked in or out.  This would suggest that the factory wasn't
too concerned about loss of lubrication but, again, I don't know what SAAB
did.

Driving a DKW is definitely a hoot.  The engine is reasonably powerful for
its size but it does not "come on the pipe" like a motorcycle.  Rather it
makes decent power through the rev range.  The most memorable sound is the
low speed and idle running, when the characteristic popcorn popping sounds
are clearly heard from the exhaust system.  The car was significantly
larger than a VW - to which it is often compared - but is was more
expensive and more luxurious.  I would own another in a flash - if I could
find one which the tinworm has bypassed.

John