Re: MGC Water Pump

To: Lane Rollins <laner@teleport.com>
Subject: Re: MGC Water Pump
From: Robert Allen <boballen@sky.net>
Date: Mon, 19 Oct 1998 15:15:33 -0500
The bolt holes are not exactly placed so the only thing preventing the pump
from moving around and breaking the gasket seal is the locating pins. Why
would they move around? Because the tightened belt going around the water pump
works all it's life to dislodge the pump.

If you own a tap and die set, removing a stuck pin is not very hard. Use a
slender tap and the appropriate drill bit size (ie small) to drill down into
the center of the pin to the base cast metal. Then run the tap down the hole.
As soon as the tap bottoms against the cast, the pin will likely pop out. If
not, back out the tap to prevent damaging the bit. Then run a bolt down the
hole and bottom it firmly to pull out the pin. If you're good, you can resuse
the 'holed' pin. If not, you at least have the right dimensions for shopping
for a new pin. The metal is pretty soft (softer than the cast) so it isn't
hard to find something to replace it.

By the way, I've had my pump on my 'C' rebuilt the last couple of times for
$80US.

Bob Allen, Kansas City, neglected C/GT
"Hear about the gay guy who wore a nicotine patch on his penis? He's down to
two butts a day!"