MGB head thickness

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: MGB head thickness
From: MIKE HIRSCHMAN <MHIRSCH1@FAIRVIEW.ORG>
Date: Fri, 20 Mar 1998 09:26:33 -0600
I removed the engine from the MGA.  It is a 1600 block with an
early MGB head.  The PO used the aluminum rocker assembly
from the  MGA.  Shouldn't he have used the MGB rocker
assembly?
The MOSS catalog states that the MGB head originally had a
thickness of 3.177 to 3.192.  My MGB head thickness measures
3.078.
The questions are.... How much can you safely shave the head
before it changes it's stock performance characteristics and
compression ratio, and which rocker arm assembly should be
used?
The piston tops look pretty flat to me.  Weren't  the original MGA
1600 pistons dished?  If so, how dished were they and are the
visual differences between the flat tops and dished obvious ?

TIA  Mike Hirschman, 1960 MGA Coupe, Minneapolis