Re: brake fluid on the carpet mats?

To: TUSLER@mp050.mv.unisys.com
Subject: Re: brake fluid on the carpet mats?
From: dmeadow@juno.com
Date: Fri, 20 Mar 1998 14:47:48 -0600
On Fri, 20 Mar 1998 12:15:50 -0800 (PST) (20:15 UT) PHILIPPE TUSLER
<TUSLER@mp050.mv.unisys.com> writes:
>>I discovered a mysterious oily fluid on my mats below the pedals. I
>suspect
> this to be brake fluid, and if so, any suggestions on how is it
>leaking out
>< (or is it possible to overfill the master cylinder)? Car is a '57
>MGA.
>
> Either your clutch or brake master cylinder is in need of a rebuild!
>DON'T drive the car.  Get under the dash and feel the levers that the
>brake and clutch pedals are attached to.  One of them, or both, will
>feel wet.  Check the fluid levels in the clutch and brake resevoirs,
>one will be low.When you rebuild the master, do the slave(s) as well.
>As long as you're in there and bleeding the system, it makes sense
>to play it safe and do the whole system.  No point in having to do it
>all over again when the clutch or brake cylinder goes.
>Getting the clutch master cylinder out requires a little finesse in
>getting the clutch line off, but be patient.  It can be done.

Uh, all excellent advice Philippe, but I think you are getting your
"Tin-tin" and "Milou" confused.  The MGA has only one master cylinder
with one reservoir serving both the clutch and the brake.  It doesn't
really matter which is leaking, when you rebuild the thing you pretty
much have to do both sides.  Assuming that the two bores in the M/C are
in good (well, excellent) condition, replacing the seals, etc., and
bleeding the brakes and slave cylinder should be sufficient.  Rebuilding
all the slave cylinders may be advisable if you are not sure of their
history.  In my experience, the M/C might need to be rebuilt two or three
times before a slave cylinder goes.

David Littlefield
Houston, TX
'62 MGA MkII