Netscape

To: "robert weeks" <robert@woozy.com>, "MG List" <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Netscape
From: "Kai Radicke" <mowogmg@pil.net>
Date: Fri, 20 Mar 1998 22:31:49 -0500
A good wholesome time consuming flame... delete if you are insulted by pity
arguments about operating systems and computer companies.

>>Well, after some computer trouble the past few days (thank you
Netscape4!),
>>I'm kinda back :-)
>
>Hey!
>
>I run Netscape 4 on both my PC and my Mac without a hitch. If you put
>that Microsoft crap on your machine then it will screw up Netscape, but
>don't blame Netscape for Bill Gates blatant greed. I've been using NS
>browsers since they first came out without a single problem. On the other
>hand all versions of M$IE have been nothing but one problem after another,
>all due to Mr Gates desire to have an illegal monopoly of the browser
market.

Note I said nothing about Microsoft, I didn't say that it was Microsoft's
fault... it had NOTHING to do with a conflict between Netscape and
Microsoft.  I just noted that my computer problems were a direct result of
Netscape...

OTOH, I've run IE4 final 24 hours before it was realeased in the US.
(Microsofts New Zealand site is like a day ahead of the US site).  And I
haven't once had a problem with IE4, on either a PC or a Mac, or even when I
installed it on my ISPs Sun server running Solaris 2.5.1 (which he didn't
like).

I also have no problem with Netscape, its fine... however I prefer IE4.  I
use 5 broswers on a daily basis (IE4, NS4, NS3, Mosaic, and Lynx)... and the
best one out of all them?  Mosaic.  This is why the W^3 (tm) sucks today,
because of non standardization or conformity to current standards.  IMHO,
Mosaic was the last real browser.

BTW, I don't like hearing the garbage about "If you put that Microsoft crap
on your machine then it will screw up Netscape..." that HAS no credibility
at all, nor does it warrant any personal attack on you.  However, its been
my experience that often its the person using the machine that makes the
mistake.  In reference to this, I haven't had a problem at all with the 5
browsers coinciding on my system... (note NS4 was doing fine before I tried
to upgrade it, which I easily solved).

I am not, nor will I ever be, a supporter of Mr.Gates' wallet or ego.  I do
feel that he gets quite a bit of bad press and he isn't all that bad.
Without IE, Netscape would control the browser market...and most of us would
be just learning how to use the <blink> tag.  With the intro of IE, many
great developments happened quickly at an industry setting pace, which
ignited the fuses between NS and MS...and led to much of the useful and not
so useful garbage that clutters the Web and Internet.  An example of this
would be Microsoft's floating HTML frames, which I absolutely adore...but
Netscape still doesn't support them.  A pity also, its an excellent
concept...but since it isn't a standard (yet) I won't use them.

Also the Mac would probably be the most predominate platform today without
the evolution of Windows.  And yadda yadda yadda.

My main point is, that as much as we all hate Mr.Gates...he is, undoubtedly,
a driving force in this industry.  And without him or Microsoft, we would be
missing out on many great things.

I use what I want to use, and I use it all...

But, the day will be a cold bloody hell when Microsoft kills UNIX.  And
unfortunately I can see it happening.

And with that I lead you to, http://www.microshaft.com

Mosaic Rulez, dude!

</end manifesto>

Kai Radicke -- kmr@pil.net -- 1966 MGB @ http://www.pil.net/~mowogmg
Sonix.Networks -- "Building the Internet, byte by byte..."

IRC: irc.mcs.net, #inet-access (my nick: KMR or rebelgeek)