Re: Cyl Head

To: "Susan and John Roper" <vscjohn@iamerica.net>, "AlexB72" <AlexB72@aol.com>
Subject: Re: Cyl Head
From: "Lawrie Alexander" <Lawrie@britcars.com>
Date: Sun, 22 Mar 1998 15:53:15 -0800
Oh, Dear, I have to disagree with someone again.....!

John, I'm afraid unleaded fuel does, indeed, contribute to burned valves.
You're right in that improper adjustment or a lean mixture can also figure
in the equation, but unleaded fuel used in a head which has not been fitted
with hardened seats will often result in valve seat recession and burned
valves.

It's most important that, any time a cylinder head is off for a valve job,
the machine shop doing the work should install hardened exhaust valve seats
if that has not already been done. Fitting stellite-faced exhaust valves is
further protection against future valve-burning problems.

Lawrie
British Sportscar Center