vapour lock?

To: MGB <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: vapour lock?
From: Anthony Rayner <A.Rayner@mailbox.uq.edu.au>
Date: Mon, 23 Mar 1998 13:22:00 +1000 (GMT+1000)
Dear everyone,

My MGB (1965, mark I) sometimes refuses to start if you turn it off when
hot.  It will start when cold just like normal but if you go for a spin
and turn it off it just turns over and over without starting.  I have a
see through fuel filter (just before the twin su HS4 carbies) and I
noticed that it wasn't full and in fact there really wasn't enough fuel in
it to go down to the carbies.  I pulled the line off the exit side of the
filter (carefully!) and it had a lot of pressure behind it.  The fuel pump
is brand new (SU pump) and the filter is about 2000miles old.  Usually the
engine will turn and turn when trying to restart it and sometimes it will
spring into life.  Also, (this may be a false lead though..)
very occasionally the car splutters on acceleration and seems to be
starved of petrol (or spark)...it 'sounds' like one carby isn't working or
something...that usually goes away in a few hundred feet of driving
though.  I've checked that the su carby 'pistons' are sliding up and down
ok, and I've put soem carby cleaner through it.
With regards to the starting problem....Do I have a vapour lock or an
electrical fault?? I haven't as yet checked the spark/battery but it may
be the problem.  The battery is a bit low and boosting it did help restart
the car once when it was hot.

The engine has been done up (valves etc) but the valve springs weren't
replaced and are a bit old.

Any ideas??

Thanks everyone!!

Tony Rayner.