RE: MGB syncro rings

To: "'BRUCE PHILLIPS'" <mgb1964@cois.on.ca>, mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: RE: MGB syncro rings
From: "Unger, Larry G" <larry.g.unger@lmco.com>
Date: Mon, 23 Mar 1998 08:47:43 -0500
Bruce Phillips wrote:

> Just read on the list today that there is a
> difference in brass and steel sychro rings
> apart from the material. I am presently
> rebuilduing 2 early overdrive transmissions
> and would like more info on what to do or
> what not to do concerning these rings.

In December '65 (18GB-U-H/31417, 18GB-U-L/29123,
18GB-RU-H/31003, 18GB-RU-L/25995) an 'improved'
second gear (22H230)and steel baulk ring
(22H249)were introduced.  The brass baulk ring
(11G3063) can't be utilized with the new gear.

I don't think that the changes were recorded by
tranny number ... as I recall, the part number
isn't stamped on the gear.  So, the best advice
that I can give is to determine if the existing
baulk ring is brass or steel and replace it
accordingly ... if second gear needs to be
replaced, then purchase the newer gear and steel
baulk ring.

Perhaps someone on the list knows how to tell the
two gears apart and will enlighten us.

Safety Fast! ... larry.g.unger@lmco.com
'61 MGA 1600 MkII